Passports are NOT mandatory for students under 19 when traveling in a school group by bus. In place of a passport, students may present their original of his or her birth certificate along with a current gov’t issued photo ID.

When Arriving to Canada by Bus you need:
  • An Original Birth Certificate and Government Issued Photo ID


  • Valid U.S. Passport

Please click the link to be connected to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection
website for details:

“Beginning June 1, 2009, U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 19 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory and traveling with a school group, religious group, social or cultural organization, or sports team, may also present an original of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card.”

When Arriving to Canada by Air / Plane you need:
  • A Valid U.S. Passport is required for arrival by plane.
Obtaining A Birth Certificate:

For students born in the VA-MD-DC area who need to obtain a certified copy of their birth certificate, please contact the Vital Records department by telephone or through their web-site.

Virginia: 1-800-662-6200
Maryland: 1-800-832-3277
DC: (202) 442-9009,a,1371,q,581955,dohNav_GID,1787,dohNav,|33120|.asp

Naturalized American citizens should carry documents such as a naturalization certificate to prove U.S. citizenship along with the government issued picture identification.  Alien permanent residents of the United States must carry their Alien Registration Card.

If you are unsure of your status or document requirements, please contact the Canadian embassy and the US Department of State for further information.

  • The Canadian Embassy can be contacted at: (202) 682-1740
  • The US State Department can be contacted at: (202) 647-4000